We are based in Sweden and operate globally through our extensive network of business and research partners.
We are devoted to practical application of Circular and Blue Economy principles.
Unique maintenance-free wastewater treatment systems
Thanks to a proven network of business partners and scientific institutions, Nexus by Sweden can deliver lasting solutions and services to solve the most challenging problems with contaminated water, wastewater, and post-industrial land.
We are applying innovative financial models for extended ecosystem services, instead of ordinary sales of goods.
We specialize in Nature-based small-scale system solutions based on microbial food webs. We promote practical on-site water reuse, water retention and recharging of groundwater with many added values such as an increased biodiversity. Our value propositions include landscaping, and flood-/ and drought-preventing green infrastructure, rural sanitation, and reuse of water for food production.
As we follow functional principles of natural ecosystems, the designed solutions are naturally free from problems such as waste or excessive organic sludge. Because of this, our solutions normally do not require maintenance.
Specifically, we offer the following services:
- Small-scale but scalable treatment of residential sewage and reuse of regenerated water
- Closed-loop wastewater systems for small islands and remote settlements
- Rapid hyper-thermophilic composting system for fecal sludge management, contaminated urban green waste and food waste
- Recovery of the bio-available phosphorus from wastewater and it’s returning to cultivated land through microbial-biochar aggregates in small-scale systems
- Farm-based recirculating aquaculture
- Conversion of landfill leachate into living water and on-site reuse for afforestation
- Nature-based public toilet design
- Refurbishing shut down, conventional outdated wastewater treatment plants by applying novel biofilm carriers, hydraulics and optimizing plant-microbial processes
System Solution (NBS)
The NBS is a closed-loop wastewater treatment solution which is scalable and self-sustaining.
We offer decentralized integrated Nature-based solutions for onsite treatment of wastewater and reuse of regenerated water. We show how to replace linear use of water resources by circular closed-loop systems that imitate Nature.
These plant-microbial systems are based on scientific knowledge of functional interactions in natural food webs. Technically, they consist of two compact circular modules representing aerobic and anaerobic treatment conditions. Enhanced processes and functions of the systems imitate energy flow in unspoiled aquatic ecosystems. When properly operated and free from man-made solids, the systems are free from sludge or any other organic waste and can operate in any climatic conditions.
By imitating patterns and principles of Nature and adapting them to local environmental and social-economic conditions, we bring lasting solutions with timeless aesthetics. By cooperating with Nature, we restore degraded ecosystems and rebuild healthy communities.
The system solutions we offer are living tools for applied circular economy, away from linear use of water and the centralised sewer systems.
There are many benefits of a small-scale but scalable treatment system. It can reduce the discharge of pollutants and replenish the local aquifer, restore natural watershed flow and functions. It can be used as a biological barrier for nutrients or pollutants in an agricultural drainage. It can be part of the blue-green infrastructure. At the same time, it will contribute to water-food security and increase local biodiversity.